As I celebrate my 35th birthday, I reflect on all that I have to be proud about; the good, the bad, the funny sh*t and the things I’ve feared throughout my life thus far.
For so long, I spent so much time trying do what “seemed right” in the eyes of others — my feelings, my thoughts, my words, my actions.
Though I have grown immensely, every now and again as a human, I still experience those moments.
I recall times when the opinions of others helped define me and determine what next move I’d make in my life; never realizing that most of it would make me “live in a box”, be “inhibited” and susceptible to the lifestyle of society’s “new trend of people”. I would have lived such a “robotic” life; miserably marching to the beat of another’s drum.
Nevertheless, I remind myself: …don’t apologize for not being what others feel/think you should be… be yourself… you are enough…you don’t have to prove yourself to others, and you’ve made it this far being exactly who you are…so apparently you’re doing something right. God’s got you… now keep it moving.
Being who I am — MIESHA — has made me the person I am today — loving, flawed, confident, smart, simple, sexy, fun, boring, traditional, calm, dramatic, goofy, pretty, genuine and sensitive — I like it all. I love it all.
Throughout the successes, failures, lessons learned, happiness, sadness, wrongs, rights and the other stuff in between, all of it has made me appreciate my existence in this world; thankful for my life.
Regardless of what this life presents, I’ll always love myself and the characteristics that make me rare, non-conforming, different, spontaneous, weird… but forever intriguing.
I am ME. Proud to be.
NOW —– Enjoy my birthday playlist! It’s an easygoing fresh combo of old-school, inspiring, eccentric, pop-y and sexy music!
1. Glow Up :: Mary J. Blige
2. Bang It Up :: Ciara
3. Prepared :: Jill Scott
4. Every Little Thing U Do :: Christopher Williams
5. Sweet Love :: Anita Baker
6. Signs :: Beyoncé
7. Move Too Fast :: Iman Omari (feat. Anna Wise
8. I Belong To You :: Rome
9. Stand In Your Line :: Dornik
10. I Love Your Smile :: Shaniece
11. Don’t You Forget It :: Glenn Lewis
12. Cross The Line :: Stokley
13. Sorry Not Sorry :: Demi Lovato
14. Diamonds and Pearls :: Prince
15. Party Ain’t A Party :: Queen Pen
16. Love :: Dean (feat. Syd)
17. Unzip Your Dress :: Playa
18. Say It Again :: H.E.R.
19. Baby, I’m Scared of You :: Womack & Womack
20. The One for Me :: Rahsaan Patterson
21. Free :: Ken Ford
22. Real Love, No Shade :: Roman GianArthur
23. Is This Love :: DeMetria McKinney
24. You Can’t Buy My Love :: Kool Skool
25. Forever, For Always, For Love :: Lalah Hathaway
26. Sweet Freedom :: Michael McDonald